St. Anne & St. Anthony of Padua

 

Home

Parish Staff

St. Anne Church Info


St. Anthony Church Info

Fr. Keun-Soo Lee

Stewardship of Ministry

Weekly Bulletins

Monthly Calendars

Parish School of Religion

Youth News

Vacation Bible School

Parish Boundaries Map

Forms and Documents

Contact Us



St. Anne Church History

St. Anne Church

St. Anne is located on property donated to the Archdiocese of New Orleans in 1952 by Mr. Russell Tullier. The first church building was made of wood and erected in 1953. St. Anne Church was created as a mission church of Holy Rosary by Archbishop Rummel of New Orleans in 1954 during the pastorate of Fr. Wyshoff. Fr. Peter Crifasi, pastor of St. Anthony in Darrow was given responsibility for the spiritual needs of the parishioners of St. Anne in 1962. In 1963 St. Anne was established by Bishop Tracy as a parish with Fr. Louis Persac as its first pastor.

Subsequent pastors/administrators were: Fr. Lloyd Caballero (1974-1977), Fr. Jesse Ortego, M.S. (1977-1981), Fr. Michael Collins, M.S.W., administrator (Feb. 1983-April 1983), Fr. David Vavasseur (1981-1984), Fr. Bernard Vogler, S.M. (1984-1987), Fr. Michael Galea (1987-1992), Fr. Sean O. Sheehy, Ed.D. (1992-1995), Fr. James Martone (1995-1999), Fr. Myles Kearney, administrator (Jan. 2000-June 2000), Fr. Mansueto Chito Palang (2000-Oct. 2001), Fr. Kenneth Smith (Oct. 2001-2004), Fr. Michael Galea (2004-2014), Fr. Keun-Soo Lee (2014-present).

St. Anne got its first CCD building during the pastorate of Fr. Caballero (1976). In 1978 St. Anne's first church building was destroyed by fire during the pastorate of Fr. Ortego. The present church building was erected in 1979 and dedicated by Bishop Sullivan on the 21st day of October that year.

In Sept. 1993 a new maintenance building was constructed. Then the old structure was sold and removed from the grounds so that an Activity Center could be constructed. The building of such a center had long been on the minds of many parishioners of St. Anne who expressed their hope in their generous contributions to the building fund. The dedication of the Activity Center took place on February 26, 2005, by Bishop Alfred C. Hughes, S.T.D.

In July, 1995, Bishop Hughes assigned Fr. James Martone as pastor of what was to become known as a cluster parish (clustering of two parishes). St. Anne, Sorrento and St. Anthony of Padua, Darrow, are currently clustered.